Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Best Friend...

I have always felt like writing this. Somehow the last time I started, that's like two years back , I ended up in a system crash resulting in the whole blog getting deleted, before I could actually post it.
Now that I start again , I am keeping my fingers crossed for any such mishap.

Mishappening......should I use this word or the curse of luck?Well whatever it is , it does leave out a huge void in everyone's life.The same happened to me a few years back.
Lets go back a few years, to the day I entered the college. Totally terrified, as I had always been under the protective cover of my parents,I entered the hostel in Amritsar. It was such a terrifying feeling- smallest room in the whole world, and guess what, three people in that room. Basically, to explain, if one person is standing in the room, noone else can actually stand or do anything.While I was still in this shock , I was introduced to my roommate-Bela. Well the first impression was nothing, since i was not in a state of mind to make first impression about anyone. The first impression of my going to be room for next one year atleast was more than enough for me.

Well instead of deviating from the topic, lets get back to the main thing. So I meet my roommate Bela, whom apart from the day I met, I found to be a very very sweet girl. Coming out from Chandigarh , from a middle class family,only girls school, and no exposure to outside world, I was a very simple girl. On the contrary, Bela, coming out of Delhi, co-education schooling and having a lot of exposure of countries outside India was a very outspoken, clear in thoughts girl. Instant liking developed between us , being poles apart , as they say opposite poles attract, resulting in us becoming the best friends. The whole college was so fond of her, everyone totally loved talking to this vibrant, beautiful, down to earth girl. As expected guys too developed a special soft corner for her. Though the fact was that none apart from her talked to the guys openly like buddies. The four years of college went sooo beautifully being with her, learning what happens in world outside, how to handle situations, how to react to unexpected circumstances, how to be clear hearted, how to be a complete masti maar..... and I can totally go on. She taught me to live life king size. Just live the way you want to be , thinking nothing about what other person thinks, just do what you feel is right and best and makes you happy, because it finally results in other people in being happy.

Today if I stand confident , facing the challenges of life, she has a huge hand in it.
I remember, once she came with me to my hometown to spend a few days with my family. Instant liking for her developed among my parents for her, following which they would keep on talking about her to all my relatives. Thats the connection she developed with everyone.
Some fights , some masti, some grudges, some misunderstandings, some compromises, resulted in such a strong bond which I donot think I would have developed with anyone after that. Any damn problem in the world , I always I knew I could discuss with her, and however busy she is, she ll always listen to me.

As life moves after college, we all started working in different companies, earning a living for us. However the good thing that happened was that we all were in Delhi now. We used to meet up regularly, the whole group of friends and now since we were earning , things were even better. Totally in love with life , the life was just perfect for us, unless one day I got a call from a friend of Bela, from her office. The worst call I have ever got....the most dreaded call .... telling me that she was gone.....gone forever.
I donot know what God had in store for her , but the day she was cremated I realized the impact she had left on everyone's life. Almost half the batch was there, she was a constant support for all her friends and there was an endless list of her friends. Even the guys cried their heart out that day. We had lost her forever....

Sometimes I do wish she was here, so that I could discuss my heart out with her, hug her, have our innocent, sometimes matured talks.Though I can discuss things openly with my husband, but, as they say , their still are few things which you can only share with your best girl friend.Its a huge void that has been created and that cannot be filled up. I do need her in my life. My best friend , even today.......

3 comments:

  1. Every single damm word is so true. I have contemplated putting a post about her on my blog for long but choose rather not to, simply to avoid myself reading my post again and again about her. Can't forget her. Ever !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truely said Surbhi... her space cannot be filled by anyone else.... will miss her forver in my life.... all the time spent with her was the most treasured moments of my life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This is so sad... Reading about her makes one want to know her. Its just so unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete